There is a list of things recruitment committees are looking for when reading. They look for a person, who can express him or herself effectively. The essay should impress the College Board with the choice of topic, use of correct references, and a mastery of writing skills. A recruitment committee is interested in a student engaged in community work, who participates in social projects, and leads an active life. They do not need a learner that is incapable of doing anything but studying. Follow these simple steps if you want to learn how to write a scholarship essay.
Tips for Writing a Unique Scholarship Paper
- First, pick the topic question that you plan to discuss in your essay. Create the general outline of your paper. At this point, you need to decide upon its length and time management. You need to have enough time to research the question, prepare a rough draft, and proofread it.
- Be careful with the language of the essay. Make sure to use proper terminology and vocabulary. They should be on your research field. Any outside terminology may sound confusing.
- Pick a single citation style. Avoid any combination of styles. It may confuse the reader. Find time to learn more about a typical scholarship essay format. It will save you a lot of time in the future.
- Write down the goals of your essay. You need to write the best essay possible to attract the attention of the examiners. They should not hesitate when choosing you from the long list of applicants.
- Carry out a research of the topic under discussion.
- Always start with a draft. The draft allows you to make numerous amendments.
- Take time to proofread and edit your scholarship essay. Ask a colleague or a tutor to help you with this task.
Major Writing Key Points
- As soon as the student makes up his or her mind to receive a scholarship for entering a university or a college, he or she should understand that it is a competitive field. Only a set number of applicants will receive scholarship. And there will be definitely hundreds of students willing to get on this list. It is important to show that you are the person they need to invest into.
- Look for a solid and appealing topic, if you already know how to start a scholarship essay. Choose a unique topic to impress the recruitment committee. The data in the essay must be supported with relevant and accessible references. A student will lose credits if he or she fails to include up-to-date references. The board of examiners will be impressed if you introduce a reference you have come across just recently.
- You need to gather all possible materials on the topic. Check all possible books, magazines, video files, newspaper articles, etc. It is better to have an excess of materials to pick from, than to lack them. Top scholarship essays must be always well-referenced.
- The main task of any scholarship essay is to expose and demonstrate one’s knowledge, ability to work with sources of information, analyze everything and interpret information correctly. If you fail to show these skills, you will more likely lose the chance to receive scholarship.
- Make notes while reading the materials. The notes must be organized properly and written in clear language.
- The citations should be properly formatted according to the referencing style of choice. The most common scholarship essay format styles are APA, MLA, Chicago, and Turabian.
- Strict organization is an essential part of this assignment. Do not forget about proper time management, which will help you succeed.
- Try to make a short plan of the future essay. It should include the division of paragraphs in accordance with the major points.
Choosing the writing style is the easiest task of all. The essay should be academic in style. Do not use colloquial language.