Poetry analysis can sometimes be called as poem review since students have to analyze the poem to the smallest details like the language, tone of writing, rhyme, literary devices, etc. In addition, poetry analysis should include some basic details about the author and his/her personal background.
Poetry Analysis Papers of Excellent Quality
If your teacher asks you to write an analysis of the chosen poem, it means that you should not only discuss your ideas after reading but try to see the bigger picture from a different perspective. Reading between the lines and defining hidden or implied ideas are things that teachers want to see in analysis papers. Mentioning about author’s background and themes discussed in the poem is not enough. You are expected to think outside the borders.
Easy Steps for Analyzing Poems
- In any poetry analysis essay, students are expected to read the poem at least twice. There is a need to make some notes about your first impression of the read lines.
- Spend some time on the research. Find some interesting facts about the author, his/her life and the context of creating the poem. Try to define the driving force – what made the author write the poem. Do try to find some intriguing details that will make you stand out from the rest of students. It can be done if you focus not only on the textbook but on outside materials as well.
- In the introduction to poetry analysis, you can find information that the third reading is essential. This time, you should read the poem very slowly and focus on such details as how the words are combined, if there are any prominent literary devices, etc.
- While dealing with analysis of any poem, you have to refer to poetry analysis questions such as “What occurred? When? Where? Why? Who participated? What were the results?” These questions make the writing process easier since they will guide you in the right direction.
- Now you will have to handle the technical aspect in your analysis paper. Make sure you analyze the meter, rhyme, and structure of each line. Here you must focus on the literary devices such as similes, metaphors, hyperboles, litotes, allegories, etc. In addition, you have to mention some facts about the mood – was the writer sad throughout the whole poem or the mood changed?
- Include some details about your personal interpretation of the poem. You have to state what made you think in this way. Every poem presumes a figurative sense and you should be able to trace it and reflect ideas on paper. Do not hesitate to check a poetry analysis essay example if you do not know what this task presumes.
- Summarize the paper by providing a brief conclusion. State if you enjoyed reading, if the author reached success by sharing his/her feelings with the reader, etc.
The Choice of Topic in Poetry Analysis
Students who do not know how to write a poetry analysis tend to think that they should choose the poem that is small and easy to comprehend. However, you should not judge by the length of the poem. In most cases, short poems can be barely understood and analyzed. Therefore, we advise you to choose a poem that is quite lengthy since you will have much text to analyze and increase the chances of getting a good grade. You are welcome to read a couple of poems and then make the final decision. You can also have a look at the title and it can also give you the hint on what the poem will further present.